This is what Texas looks like.

This is what Texas looks like.
A parting gift from one of my students, Maria Fernanda: Her summer wish was to visit me in Texas.

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Mexico City: Day 2

This was a very full day, since we toured the Zocolo and all of its museums. We started at the Museo Diego Rivera, where his huge mural, Afternoon in the Park, is located. Next, we headed to the Bellas Artes building, where Mexico City's Ballet Folklorico dances. The building has several floors of murals by Diego Rivera and others. We also toured the Palacio National to see the famous mural Rivera painted for the Rockefeller Center, the commissioning of which was cancelled when his work turned out to be too socialist (i.e., communist) for American comfort (go figure!)
Other exciting sites of the day include the bell tower tour of the Catedral Metropolitan (they actually let you climb on top of the cupola!), and the gilded post office (still in use).

I will add a slideshow as soon as I have time. Keep posted!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hola, Carrie. I'm glad to hear that you made it safely to Mexico and am VERY jealous of your planned month of adventures. Have a wonderful time and I'm excited to hear about everything when you get back!

Lauren

Anonymous said...

Hey Carrie - I tried to post the other day but was too dumb to figure it out ... by the time you see this - you'll probably be back in SA! Trusting you are having a great time! Can't wait to hear about it and see some pix.

Anonymous said...

Slide-show! Slide-show! I want a slide-show!